Monday, August 6, 2012

Curriculum Week

This year feels like a new season in our homeschool journey.  I know each year is different but this year we have no little, little ones, toddlers yes but no crawlers...stick everything in your mouth babies. The majority of them school age now and I have a high schooler!! Oh my.  The last couple of years I fell into a rut using mainly a set curriculum and workbooks.  It worked but it is so not my style and passion.  I was focused on completing the books and I had to take a hard look and (with my hubby's gentle help) refocus and remind myself of the many reasons why we homeschool.  Now workbooks are not all bad and Joshua happens to really like his language and Bible workbooks. And we still use plenty of them but I allow myself a lot more freedom in assigning the work from them.  I much prefer notebooking and teaching several kids together with just changing my expectations for each one.  I  don't like be stuck in one set curriculum.

We have been going to the Arizona homeschool convention for 12 years now.  I LOVE it.  This year I went to a couple of Mary Schofield's workshops on high school and transcripts.  It was wonderful!!!  I think the most that I got out of it is that even though they are in high school you can still create curriculum to fit your student and what you are already doing.  (Can you say DUH!)  :)  So needless to say I can't recommend her book enough......


I keep reading it and reading it and re-reading it.  It has been so helpful!  I am sure you can find it on Amazon.


So what curriculum are we using?  Here is one big picture collage of some of the curriculum.




My kids have a grade level they are assigned just as if they were attending school, however the work they do can be off by a grade or two, up or down.  We are homeschoolers after all.  ;) 

Anastasia 9th Grade:  
Anastasia is very independent.  I have planned out her work for the semester but I only write out one week's assignments at a time on her assignment sheet for her each week.  Most of the day she works on her own and then we get together in the afternoon to go over things and grade anything that needs grading.

Bible: This year for the first semester she is using 9th grade (Alpha Omega) life pacs #'s 2-5.  These ones cover early church history.  Then for 2nd semester she will start with Kay Arthur's "How to Study Your Bible" and then another Bible study of her choice along with writing some papers required by her dad.  ;).   She is also serving as a Cubbie leader in Awana.
Language:  Life pacs  she is still working in 8th grade.  Spelling and language are not her strong suit.
She also started using "Apples, Daily spelling drills" for secondary students.
Math: Anastasia is so excited that Horizons math by Alpha Omega is continuing up through Algebra.  She really likes that math and is staying with it.
History:  She is using Life Pacs and for the 1st semester she is actually using the 12th grade ones and getting her semester credit of Govt.  What better time to do this than during an election year. 
Science:  Anastasia is continuing with Apologia Science and doing Biology this year.  She is in a co-op that meets twice a month to complete the labs.
Electives: Her first semester elective is Health and she is using Life Pacs.  Second semester she is taking computers and typing.

Anastasia is also on a homeschool junior varsity volleyball team this semester.

Joshua 4th Grade:  
 I am working on getting Joshua more independent.  I think it will still be a long haul.  LOL  Keeping him focused is the challenge.

Bible: Joshua is continuing with the Life Pac series for now.  He really likes it.
Language: He is also using his life pacs and a Daily Gram book.  We have also started using a journal this year.  They have to write in it three times a week. 
Math: Horizons
Reading: For reading this year he will complete different literature studies.
History: I am continuing Expedition Earth with Joshua, Savannah and Alexa.  We didn't finish it last year.
Science:  I am doing Apologia Science with all 3.  We are using notebooks and we all love it! We are finishing up Astronomy and then continuing with Zoology 1

Savannah 2nd Grade:  
 The focus for this year is READING and lots of it!  My kids seem to excel in math and struggle some in reading and spelling.  This is very humbling for me because I have always been such an avid reader.  Most subjects I am combining this year for Savannah and Alexa

Bible:  I am using Apologia's What We Believe series (Who is God?) I have had this book already and I want to do Bible together with Savannah and Alexa and Natasha is along for the ride. 
Language: We are ditching the life pacs and I and doing WriteShop A with her and Alexa.  My goal is to get part way through Level B as well.  She is also starting Daily Gram and Journal.
Spelling:  We are starting All About Spelling.  Again it is a curriculum I have had so it is time to put it to use.
Reading: For reading we are continuing with Hooked on Phonics.
Math: Horizons
History and Science: See Joshua above.  :)

Alexa 1st Grade:
My sweet, sassy Alexa this year will be both Kindergarten and 1st grade.  She just wasn't ready last year.  We got through quite a bit we really need to work on retention this year.  She is so bright and now this year we need to just focus that energy.
For her curriculum she will be doing some of the same work as Alexa and also with Natasha. 

Natasha Preschool:
Natasha is my one who begs to do school, even on Saturday!  She loves her workboxes and oh my watch out if I forget to fill them one day.  She has 6 boxes that I fill each night.  This year she will be working on Letter of the Week and K4 curriculum from Erica @  Confessions of a Homeschooler

Jadon our Toddler:
Jadon has some workboxes that he works on different activities.  I try to keep him at the table with us coloring or playing play dough.  He also plays well in his room with Lego's and blocks.  And his two hour afternoon nap helps as well!  ;)

So I will keep you posted as to how our year is going.  I can't promise weekly updates but my goal is biweekly, monthly at the minimum. 



Want to see what others are doing this year.  Join the link up at:
Not Back to School Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment