Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Great Book I am Reading


Ever since Anastasia has been about two years old and we have gone to the library I always go over to the shelf that has the homeschooling books. So by now I have read a lot of them. Well this past week I found a new one. It is a great book that I just had to share about. It is called The Well-Adjusted Child The Social Benefits of Homeschooling by Rachel Gathercole. I haven't finished it yet but it is so good. I like it because it is different and actually answers the big "S" question (socialization) that so many non homeschooling parents seem overly concerned about. Where as us homeschoolers are so tired of that question and just laugh about it. This book in turn would then also be a great read for non homeschooling parents or parents who might be considering homeschooling.


Rachel breaks through the stereo-type perception that people have of homeschoolers. I think most parents truly have good intentions when asking that question because if it is a valid concern then they don't understand what homeschooling is all about. As homeschoolers we are so unlimited in our social outlets that our kids get to experience a wide range of activities with people of all different ages and backgrounds. They are not just straped in a classroom full of kids all their same age for 6 hours a day. Okay I will step down from the soap box now so you can go get this book and read it for yourself.


You can visit Rachel Gathercole's website and be sure to click on the link for the review of her book by ForeWord magazine. It is a great review and does the book more justice than I could do. www.rachelgathercole.com

No comments:

Post a Comment