Friday, May 16, 2008

End of the Year 20 Questions

Since we are approaching summer I thought we would start with 20 Questions regarding Homeschooling.


I love hearing about other families homeschooling adventures so if you don't get "tagged" consider yourself tagged by me and answer these questions on your blog and leave me a comment so I can come read them.


1) Do you take the summers off or just keep going?


We are taking some time off this summer to enjoy our newest addition who will be here in just a couple of weeks. We usually take just a little time off that way we can spread our time off through out the year because we like to take a lot of time off in December.


2) Do you use summers to make up work if you planned to have summers off?


This summer Anastasia will be working on spelling and learning how to type. It will be pretty low key.


3) Do you have vactaion plans?


We get to go to South Dakota for one week at the end of July/first of August. We are very excited. Anastasia and Joshua are in a cousin's wedding and we will get to visit family and do some sight seeing. We are also trying to make some plans for September. That is the great thing about homeschooling we don't have to take our vacations along with everyone else!!


4) If you are taking a vacation is it for fun or for learning or both?


It always ends up both!! Aren't we always learning??


5) Do your children know your school year plan?


I give Anastasia a little head up and try to plan things she is interested in.


How do they feel about it? She's fine with it. Doesn't have much of a choice


How do they feel about changes to it? She is not much into change!


6) Do you do fun educational stuff as opposed to regular school work for the summer - or any other time of the year for some reason?


During December we do a lot of fun family traditional Christmas things.


7) Since it is public school summer break do you include neighborhood kids or friends in any of the things you do with your kids?


It just depends on what we are doing. Anastasia has friends, who are home schooled and who are in public school.


8) Is your school fun- for you? Some days it is fun. I love doing unit studies with the kids. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with it all, school, housework, etc


for kids-? I think it depends on the day and the subject! LOL


9) Or is it stressful?


If it's stressful, what things would you like to change if possible?


I still struggle to find the right balance between housework and schoolwork. I do best when I stick to my schedule!!


10) What are some things you have done or need to do to achieve a balance so everyone can enjoy the homeschool experience?


The books Manager's of Their Home and Manager's of their Chores have been a real blessing to me.


11) What is your favorite all time homeschool memory?


I would have to say I really enjoyed Anastasia's kindergarten year. It was an extremely hard time with family circumstances but having Anastasia home was such a blessing that year. Our favorite once and a while treat day is "Jammie Junk Food Day" the kids love it. We get to stay in jammies and eat a little junk food and just hang out and relax for the day!!!


12)What is your ultimate homeschool fantasy- "memory yet to make" if you will?


We really want to take a family road trip across the US in a motor home. I think that would be awesome to plan it all out and take a couple of months to do it. We just need Jay to be able to telecommute for his job.


13) What is your favorite subject to teach?


I love teaching social studies/history and math


14) What is your children's favorite subject?


Science and math


15) What curriculum do you use?


A little of everything...Lapbooks, notebooking, Horizons math, unit studies, daily grams,


16) What is your favorite curriculum current, past or future?


We really enjoyed the Prairie Primer we used last year for a year long unit study based on the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I also like Five in a Row.


17) Do you ever attend any homeschool conventions?


Each summer since Anastasia was 2!!!


Why or why not?


They are awesome and such encouragment!!! Jay and I attend both days all day. It is great listening to all the speakers and going to the workshops. It is a recharge of our batteries for the next year!! Of course there is also the exhibit hall that I always get lost in!!



18) When do you start school for next year?


We will do some work before we go to South Dakota and then officially start the middle of August.



19) When do you plan for next year?


I am starting now. I will have a 5th grader, Kindergartner and preschooler (plus a 2 year old and infant). I try to have things planned before the convention, which is in July so that I know what I need to get.


20) What is one tip or piece of advice you would give to a new homeschooling mom?


Get involved in a homeschooling group for support and encouragment and attend your state convention. These will be the best help and support for beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment