Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Making Laundry Detergent

I FINALLY did it! I made my own laundry detergent and it was SOO easy. I don't know what I have been waiting for. Here's the story: I found a recipe on line about 5 months ago I bought the "ingredients" and then I just let them sit in my laundry room. I guess I was just scared to actually do it. Well this month at co-op during our mom time, another mom shared about making your own laundry detergent, how easy and CHEAP it is. Well that was it I was ready to come home and give it a try.



Here are the ingredients.... (You can use ivory soap instead of the Fels-Naptha but that is what I had) You can find these at any grocery store or even Wal-Mart. I think it cost less than $10.00 for all three ingredients. And as you will notice in the directions below when you are making a batch (which equals 2gallons) you only use a half a cup of each and one third of the Fels-Naptha bar) so this will last probably a year. I will let you know.

Homemade Laundry Soap
Three things you should know before you start so you don't think you messed up!

1. It isn't as "liquid" as liquid soap from the store. The end product is a bit more "gloppy" and you have to give the bottle a good shake each time before you pour it out into your machine.

2. It doesn't suds up like you are probably used to, it's still cleaning your clothes!

3. Don't use more Washing Soda/Borax then the recipe calls for thinking you’ll get things cleaner with more, in my experience I have found this will fade your clothes!
Ingredients and Directions:
-One bar of Ivory soap-All Natural
-Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
-20 Mule Team Borax
(Washing Soda and Borax are available in the laundry area, usually on the bottom shelf)

Step One: Heat 6 cups of water in a large stock pot over medium heat. (do not boil)

Step Two: Shred the Ivory soap, I use a cheese grater, works great! Add the grated soap to the hot water in the pan and stir until all soap is melted.

Step Three: Once the soap has all dissolved, stir in 1/2 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. Stir until it is all dissolved.

Step Four: Add four more cups of hot water to the pot and stir until well blended.

Step Five: Remove from heat and add one gallon plus six cups of cold water to the mixture. Mix WELL! Let sit for 24 hours on the counter. As it sits, it will become a solid "glob" in the pot. This is normal! In order to break it up so I can pour it into containers, I found it is easiest to use a whisk and stir it all until it becomes a liquid again.

*You can store it in your old laundry soap container or other large plastic containers for easy pouring. If you have a high efficiency machine, use 1/4 cup per load, otherwise use 1/2 cup!



I had been saving my laundry bottles and here is what I filled!!! (That is a savings of $30.00 right there!)



Go ahead and try making some!!!


And here is a verse for you :)

“But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears?
For He is like a refiner’s fire, and like launderers’ soap.” Malachi 3:2

No comments:

Post a Comment